2:29 PM

The month of the absence of gods

Today and most of this week I have been teaching Japanese people all about Halloween � mostly just the good  stuff� candy, costumes and parties.  Today I got a very interesting reciprocal culture lesson from my Vice Principal.  He taught me about 神�月 (kannazuki)  which is what the Japanese name for October is.  What the name and those characters mean is � the month of the absence of gods.  There is a good reason the gods are absent. During October, all of Japan's 800 or so gods all go to one shrine in southern Japan called Izumo for a meeting (from what I know about Japanese gods it is probably actually a big piss up).  So quite logically the people that live around Izumo have a different word for October: 神有月 (kamiari) the month in the presence of Gods.

 

After showing an interest in神�月 I was then told about Shiozuki 霜月 the month of frost � November.  Then the less straightforward "month of the running Buddhist monk" which is December.  

0 comments: