11:40 AM

The arts in Japan

Japan is a country rich in tradition and culture. It is a country where ancient art forms have been preserved and even still thrive. Most are probably familiar with origami and caligraphy also even the martial arts - judo, sumo, kendo. I find these all fascinating, but thus far I have been practicing another art form that Japanese people seem to take for granted. The art of using an umbrella. Given that I have spent the vast majority of my life in a semi arid climate and always had access to a car, I have not had much experience with using umbrellas. Since moving to Hiroshima-ken the access to the car and the semi arid climate have been taken away from me. Also it is way to damn hot to wear a rain coat. So staying dry while wearing my shirt and tie while using public transport - umbrella it is. I must not be doing it right though, cause I always still get wet. All the Japanese people around me emerge from under their umbrella completely dry, and I am lucky if the top of my head is still dry. I blame part of it on the fact that physics are not in my favour - given that I am quite a bit taller then everyone else but have the same size umbrella. So as soon as I learn Japanese better, I am going to suggest that they start selling umbrella with height recommendations. Actually when I learn Japanese better I will probably find out that they do all ready have umbrella specially designed for different rain and different body types and all this time I have been getting wet because I have not had the right equipment.
I have been thinking about umbrellas a lot lately, and have more to say on the subject, but I think I might skip it, seeing how I don't seem to write on here as much any more, and I am going to refocus towards the journal focus that I intended on.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I've had a very similar experience in Toronto. Umbrellas are ubiquitous here, as opposed to the novelty item that they are in Saskatchewan. My problem is that I occasionally forget my umbrella, with embarrassing results.