A year ago, when I found for sure that I would be moving to Japan, I was very excited at the prospect of learning a new language. I thought that even though Japanese is not a particularly useful language when you are outside of Japan, it is very useful when yo are in Japan and it would still be cool to be bi-lingual. Immersion is the best way to learn a language, so I figured a year of immersion would be plenty of time to get a handle on Japanese. For a month or two I studied hard and made a little progress in Japanese, but then somewhere along the line, my interest in learning Japanese peaked. "I have not made much progress and I am going back to Canada in six months where Japanese is not useful, not much point in working on it anymore." - this thought occurred to me at the halfway point of my contract, and that argument just kept getting better everyday. So unfortunately I am going to leave Japan in a couple months with a very, very basic Japanese speaking ability. I am not too upset about it, after all I made the choice not to do it. I am concerned that the Japanese I have learned has replaced the little bit of French I could speak. Today I was trying to write a letter in french to the University du Quebec au Trois Rivieres to get some transcripts for my Ontario teaching certificate application, and I couldn't even come up with basic words in French. I had to look up the word for thank you! All that my brain would give me was arigato! So now I am moving to Ottawa where French is useful, Japanese is not, and I have perhaps less language ability then I started with a year ago! So much for being bi-lingual.
thank you google translator for reminding me that arigato in French is merci
Curt B's journal of doings
Categories
- BC (4)
- beverages (1)
- bike (1)
- bull riding (1)
- Cambodia (2)
- camping (5)
- Canada (2)
- carbon (1)
- cave (1)
- china (1)
- culture (3)
- decisions (1)
- driving (2)
- dust (1)
- festival (1)
- Firsts (3)
- hiking (7)
- holiday (7)
- house (1)
- Japan (33)
- Japanese products (2)
- JET (1)
- Kyoto (1)
- map (1)
- money (1)
- mosquito (1)
- moustache (1)
- music (1)
- National Park (3)
- Nelson (1)
- Pemberton festival (2)
- pics (11)
- pics. Cambodia (1)
- pirate (1)
- placement (1)
- prairie (3)
- push mower (1)
- rice (3)
- saijo (2)
- sake (2)
- sleep (1)
- snow (2)
- snowboarding (3)
- storm (1)
- Sumo (2)
- teaching (1)
- temple (1)
- the blog (3)
- time (1)
- toilets (1)
- train (2)
- TV (1)
- umbrellas (1)
- update (2)
- vancouver (2)
- video (2)
- volcano (1)
- wig (1)
- wildlife (2)
- youth (1)
3:10 PM
Labels: Japan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment