1:06 PM

Small Victories

Anyone who has talked to me about my job since I have gotten to Japan, has probably heard about some of the frustrations I have with the Japanese school system and the lack of motivation of my learners.  The fact that my student are not interested in the subject that I have to teach them, is made worse by the fact that I can not really have meaningful communication with them outside of class.  Anyways, where I want to get with this, is I had a moment this morning that made it clear, that everything that I am doing at this job is not in vain.

 

I was walking from the bus stop to my school this morning when one of my students rode up from behind me on his bike and as he was passing we had the following conversation:

 

Student:  Kawtess, good morningu

Me:  Good morning Fuminori, how are you?

Student:  Not bad, whats up?

Me:  Nothing much

Student: okay, see you later

 

It took me a couple seconds to realize what had happened, but after I replayed it in my head and realized that it was entirely English, and natural and unforced.  My efforts have paid off.  That only took 5 months – imagine what I can do with 6 more!

0 comments: