4:11 PM

Is Corner Gas acctually funny??

Being from Regina, it was pretty hard to escape the acclamations and hype that surrounded corner gas for the 5 years or however long it was on.  I found it much easier to escape watching it, and can say that I never watched a full episode... until last week.  Since then I have watched probably 10 episodes.  In our attempt to keep the flu and the perpetual chillyness at bay,  Tessa and I have spent a lot of time in the last couple weeks, sitting under our heating table and watching stuff.  Sometimes we watch whatever Japanese TV has to offer (which isn't usually much) and sometimes we see what the internet has to stream.  Tessa has been partial to 30 Rock, and I can't get enough Corner Gas.   I have been cracking up hard at some of the simple, stupid jokes that the show has on offer.  Loling like crazy.  I am not quite sure that I am ready to give the show too much credit though.  I think that I may just be a little starved for the classic Canadian sense of humour.  I know it is going the other way - I have thrown a few jokes out to my english speaking friends here that would certainly get a laugh out of Brent Butt, but all i get back is wierd looks.   So is Corner Gas really funny, or am I humour deprived?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There was a time around the second or third season when I watched quite a few episodes, and I enjoyed it. Brent Butt is a funny guy, and it's basically his comedy. My favourite character was Davis.

Having said that, I think I prefer 30 Rock, even though I haven't seen many episodes of it. Scrubs and The Office are still my favourites.

Unknown said...

I enjoy it.
dad

Curt B said...

I have watched a few more episodes and I definately think it is funny now. It seems to be different from most TV, it doesn't seem to try to hard. I am sure that the comparison has been drawn before, but Tessa and I were drawing parallels the other day and decided it could be a Saskatchewan's version of Seinfeld